Every year there are millions of people that are injured through no fault of their own. The decision to make a claim for personal injury can feel like a difficult one. If you have been physically or psychologically injured why shouldn’t you receive compensation for your suffering? You might be wondering ‘Personal Injury: What can I claim for?’.
A personal injury may stretch far beyond just a physical injury or affliction. You may have suffered emotional trauma, need further rehabilitation or have suffered a change to your health that will last for the rest of your life.
If you have been injured, even if it isn’t because of the direct responsibility of another individual, you may be entitled to lodge a claim for compensation.
Personal Injury: What can I claim for?
Regardless of location you may be able to lodge a claim for compensation. Typically you can claim for the following types of personal injury:
- Accidents in the workplace, in public spaces or even on holiday.
- Injuries suffered as the result of beauty or cosmetic procedures or faulty consumer goods.
- Road traffic accidents whether you were in a vehicle or you were a pedestrian.
- Injuries suffered when working in the armed forces.
Each of these categories can cover a vast array of different injuries. For example a road traffic claim could be something that only affected you for a brief time, such as a whiplash injury. It could also be a more long term injury that leaves you with a scar, permanent nerve damage or even a psychological stress disorder.
Personal Injury: What can I claim for? – What do I have to do?
For convenience you will want to speak to solicitors, such as Osbornes Personal Injury Solicitors, based in London. From here you will discuss what has happened to you with a legal expert. Then you will provide any required evidence and solicitors will help you with your claim.
Typically a claim will be lodged formally on your behalf and the solicitors will deal with everything for you. Any settlement will be negotiated on your behalf and if a suitable settlement cannot be made then court proceedings may be the next step.
Personal Injury: What can I claim for? – What can I expect to receive?
If you are fortunate enough to have a successful personal injury claim then there are a number of expenses that you could be reimbursed for. Also, the compensation awarded will typically take the following into account:
- Loss of earnings – including any bonus or overtime payments that were lost as a result of being off work.
- Treatment costs including physiotherapy.
- Paying for carers or other external help.
- Any holidays or day trips that you have been unable to attend.
- Miscellaneous spending that has been required because of your injury.
When it comes to making a personal injury claim it can be much more straightforward than you realised. Time frames apply for making a claim so don’t delay!