Affiliate links in this post will be clearly marked with a * and if you click one of these links I will earn a discount or receive payment.
So recently someone tried to offend me. With a rude comment on this website. From time to time people will disagree with me in a comment, and that is fine. Each to their own is usually my motto. However, this particular comment was pretty nasty. Or presumably it was meant to be. It said something about how I must be gutted not to be as successful as other bloggers. Or something to that effect. I deleted the comment as it was clearly wrote just to try to bring me down. It got me thinking though, what is success?
What is success?
Personally I think that success is something that means different things to different people. Some people would see success as being rich, or earning a big salary. Other people see success as living in a large house, or driving a flash car.
The dictionary definition of success covers a few areas:
- the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
- the attainment of fame, wealth, or social status.
- a person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains fame, wealth, etc.
- the good or bad outcome of an undertaking.
For me I would have to say that success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. I often set out to hit aims and goals, and frequently succeed. This makes me feel successful. However, success is about so much more than that to me.
What is success for me?
- Being alive. After two strokes I’m successful at staying alive. Just!
- Being present. I’m here, everyday, for my friends and family.
- Having a nice home. My home is clean and organised. We have a nice roof over our head.
- Being happy. I’m incredibly happy. I’m so grateful for this life that I’m living.
- Working a job I love. I adore blogging, and I’m so happy I’ve made this my full-time job.
- Loving the skin I’m in. This is something that I’m always working on – but I’m doing better!
- Having my family around me. Our daughter arriving has changed family life so much.
I’m living my best life right now. The best so far. I’m alive, happy, healthy (ish) and I have a wonderful family. I’ve been able to create my own job, working from home, and I’m present more than I ever have been before.
There are some areas of our life that I am working at. Things such as buying a home with a teeny tiny mortgage. Saving a HUGE house deposit. Being a kinder person. These are all works in progress but my success is growing everyday in these areas.
I’m not sure what metric someone who leaves a snide comment uses to measure my success against that of other bloggers but they are wrong. I AM successful. I don’t need to compare myself to others. I’m happy to see others achieving their own success, and living their best life too. I’m not interested in comparing myself to others, or comparison syndrome. I also don’t need the validation of other people to let me know whether I am a success or not. However, when I posted about this on Instagram recently tons of people had lovely things to say about me. And on Twitter and Facebook too. I guess the person who left that comment is in the minority when it comes to my readers and their view of my success! Thanks to everyone who had something lovely to say to me recently.
What is success? I am success. I’m successful. I’m living the life I want to live and I won’t let anybody bring me down. If you are the kind of person who needs to go around writing negative comments online then maybe you’re not as successful as you want to be.
I can find the positive in almost any situation these days. This isn’t the first time I’ve encountered a troll on the internet. Naturally the internet is where such people hang out. I even wrote a post before about 5 types of troll you are likely to encounter as a blogger.
If you enjoyed this post I’d love it if you could pin it on Pinterest!